Friday, March 27, 2009

One Year

It has been way too long since I last updated the blog. I've been wanting to update for the past few weeks, but just haven't taken the time. Here is an attempt at an adequate update:

First of all, it has now been a year since our paperwork went to Russia and we've been waiting on a referral. I really didn't expect it to take this long, so it is a little surprising that we're still where we are. Of course, we did get delayed by the situation that came up in January, and we have always known it could take over a year or more. I just really didn't think that it would. But, the Lord sees fit for us to continue to wait, so waiting is what we continue to do.

In February, about a week after we were assigned to a new region, we got another piece of discouraging news. Russia put together a list of adoption agencies that had not complied to post-adoption reports the way Russia expects. It was a very long list with several agencies per state. Well, our home study agency, Lifeline, was on the list. Basically, Russia sent this list to all the regions and encouraged them to not move forward with new adoptions from any families who were using these agencies as their home study provider.

At the time, we were not sure what this would mean for us. Worst case scenario - we'd have to re-do our home study with a new agency. Thankfully, though, when we contacted Lifeline they were already aware of the problem, had figured out what had happened and sent in the necessary documents that should resolve the issue. Russia stated that agencies can be taken off the list once they correct the problem. I received an email on February 24th that Lifeline had at that point mailed the necessary documents to Russia. It is now up to Russia to review the documents and decide if what Lifeline sent in is enough to be taken off the list. Well, at this point we have still not heard any news on Lifeline's current status. Please pray that they will get on the "good list" soon, because this could make our documents "pending" until the Lifeline issue is resolved.

The other factor to this situation is how Astrakhan feels about this list. Some regions have come back and said it is not a big deal, while others have felt quite differently. News about this list came to us on February 19th, and we still have yet to hear any news about how Astrakhan wants to handle things. So, we are hoping that if they really cared they would have done something by now, but you just never know.

I talked with Leslie, my Children's Hope contact, a few weeks ago and she mentioned that things in Astrakhan (as far as referrals and adoptions) are continuing to move along. It seems that Astrakhan proceeds with two families from each agency at a time, which is great! It looks like two families that traveled in early January are awaiting a court date to travel back to adopt their children. One family has received their court date. Lesley feels that after these families receive their court dates, then two other families who are currently registered in the region should receive their travel dates for their first trip, and then they should register two new families - which should include us!!! However, because of the Lifeline issue I am worried that they could skip over us and choose another family that is not working with an agency on the "list."

If we were registered in this new batch, it should mean that we would receive our travel dates to go on our first trip a few months later. This could mean that we would get to travel this summer (maybe June?) - which would be wonderful!! If we don't get registered, it would probably push our first trip to late summer/early fall.

All of this is making me very anxious. I feel like it is all coming to a penacle and I don't want to miss our opportunity to be registered at the soonest opportunity. I feel compelled to do anything and everything to fix it, but I have done really all that I can do. But, I just can't stop thinking about if there is something else that can be done. It's so hard to know that everything is completely out of my control, because I just want to rush in and intervene and make sure that we get registered in this new batch of families. But, once again, it is completely in the Lord's very capable hands and we have to just trust whatever decision He makes. Can I just be honest and say that this feels really hard right now?! We do want His plan, but days like today I feel desperate for His plan to be on my timeline. We are just so ready to get this waiting over with and begin our new life with our son. The thought of it taking even longer is really hard.

Would you please pray for this situation? Please pray that the situation with Lifeline would be resolved and they would receive a favorable status soon. Also, please pray that the Lord would open the doors for us to be chosen as one of the families to be registered in the region with this new batch of families. Last, would just please pray for the Lord's peace to reign in our hearts and for us to continue to trust His plan as we wait? We are so grateful for your prayers and concern.